Welcome to Lakeroad Ferret Farm Rescue/Shelter, Inc.

Blinkin, Nodd, aka Nadia & Winkin

   • Surrendered to the Shelter on August 19, 2006.
   • They found a forever home on January 28, 2007, but on April 25, 2009 they were returned to the Shelter.

   • Blinkin was a female. She left for the Rainbow Bridge on September 23, 2010
   • Nodd, aka Nadia was a female. She left for the Rainbow Bridge on January 16, 2010
   • Winkin was a female. She left for the Rainbow Bridge on May 24, 2011.

   • Read about how these three arrived at the Shelter by clicking here or read their latest updates below.

May 24, 2011:
  Winkin left for Rainbow Bridge while I was at work this afternoon.

September 24, 2010:
  Blinkin earned her wings during the night last night – she has been struggling for a few days now – on meds 2 times a day – but she has been progressively loosing weight and spending her days sleeping - Brenda

January 16, 2010:
  Nadia has earned her wings this morning. She no longer has to struggle to walk or take meds.

April 25, 2009:
  The Girls were returned to the shelter and are now looking for another home.

March 1, 2008:
  Brenda, the girls are doing great! I am actually on my way downstairs to play with them right now. We are still finishing their room so it is not totally ferret proofed so I can only let them play in the room with supervision. Hopefully we will have that taken care of in the coming months. Maine is great............ except for the insane amounts of snow we are getting this year.

March 5, 2007:
  I just wanted to let you know that the girls are doing wonderful! Actually, just the other day we got this toy from my parents for them and it squeaks. What Jason has discovered is that when he squeaks it they all come running as fast as they can to it..... even if they are dead asleep. (We think it is b/c they think it is a mouse???) and then Winkin has started taking my finger and trying to pull me into the cage with her...... S he isn't hurting just a good mouth grip on my finger..... Is she trying to bring me into her cage to lay down with her???? Anyway, I just think it is adorable! So all is well at this point!!

February 4, 2007:
  Brenda, the girls are doing great! I wake up every morning and play with them for a couple hours. Then they get to play in their room most of the day..... Which is usually just them sleeping. Then I play with them again in the afternoon and before bedtime. They have been eating their duck soup twice a day and getting their ear meds every morning.
  We are doing great too! Jackie and I love playing with the girls and getting to know their personalities. They are going to the bathroom in their rice bin which I am trying to discourage but you know how that goes. The cats like to watch from the windows and usually ask to leave fairly quickly once we let them into the room. I just have to block off under the stove and will have the rest of the house 'ferret proofed'.
  Thanks again for the everything, including sending the duck soup and those toys.

January 29, 2007:
  All is well, we got them home and let them run around and boy did they have a ball. I should tell you though that Blinkin is coughing or sneezing a bit... So we gave them some foamy fries and she seems fine now. We also got Winkin and Blinkin to use the litter pans... yeah! We figured that may take some time. Anyway we just put them to bed and Winkin and Nodd are both in their hammock and Blinkin is in the bed box right now. Our cats are getting super nosy though and are just sitting outside the doors staring at them... I don't think that they can wait to play with them. Well thank you again and we will definitely keep you updated and oh if the cough thing with Blinkin is something to be concerned with just let us know... She hasn't done it since the fry though! Have a good night

January 30, 2007:
  The girls are doing great. It seem like Nodd is a little more subdued than usual as far as I can tell. I made sure she did eat and am trying to keep a close eye on her. She still gets excited and playful but seems to tire out quicker and want to sleep. This might be normal I am not sure. We have taken some pictures which I will get to you soon so you can see them. I am about to get the girls up and have our morning play session in a few minutes.


Blinkin, Nodd & Winkin's journey to the Shelter:
  A Shelter friend was contacted being told the girls were in the back room of a Pet Co store in distress, someone had dropped them off. Kristie contacted me I said go get them. The girls were found to be undernourished, filthy, and sick. Kristie cleaned them up and did what she could until she could get them to me the next day. They came in looking like they had spent their time in a refuge camp, bones sticking out and fur rough and nasty. It did not take long with proper care, good food and lots of out time to get the girls in the condition they should be in. Now we needed to get them some names. I had a contest for the names. That is how they got the names Winkin, Blinkin and Nodd. The Picture shows them in order.
  On Friday, August 18 a friend of mine left a voice message saying she had been at Petco in Henrietta (Hylan Drive store) and saw three baby ferrets that were up for adoption, free. I called the store after work that night and was told a couple had dropped them off there late Thursday night (August 17) saying they were moving and could not take them to their new place. When I arrived at the store, the cage had a fair amount of poopoo on the bottom, but had good water and dry food.
  Seemed like only one of the kids could really eat the food dry. There was one tube hammock and one regular hammock (not in very good shape).
  There were no toys or blankets or anything else in the cage. The girls were all asleep. I took them out one by one and checked them over. Two were very, very skinny, the third was thin, but not as bad as the others. All 3 had very long nails on their front paws, curling over long. The silver girl had crust on the fur around both of her eyes.
  Ears and mouths all looked good. One of the sables had a dirty behind and seemed like her vaginal area was irritated. They were very friendly and seemed like they wanted to be held and cuddled. I took them home, took pictures and cleaned them up. Clipped nails, washed faces and behinds. I gave them toys, blankets, another good hammock and soup. 2 of them took to the soup well, the third had to be helped a bit. I also wet their food, which they all proceeded to eat very well. They played and seemed ok all night. John brought them to the ferret farm on Saturday afternoon for Brenda to assess and care for them until they got a new home.